Friday 15 July 2016

Simply perfect: Off The Rails Scrapbooking July Challenge.

Going camping is my escape from the hustle and bustle of my busy life, an opportunity to scrapbook in a peaceful environment, read a good book and just relax. Nothing is better than a fire, glass of wine and a campfire meal shared with my hubbie and my friends.

Here is my take on the 'Rustic and Soft' mood board over at

Off The Rails Scrapbooking July challenge.

Thanks to the fantastic Memory Maze for sponsoring our challenge this month.


'Simply Perfect'






 The items I used included:

  • White 12" x 12" card stock

  • Acrylic paints for background including black, white, yellow ochre and burnt sienna.

  • Spray bottle- small

  • Watercolours to paint the Memory Maze 'Flower Bunch' chipboard

  • White and black drawing ink.

  • Memory Maze Flower Bunch, Arrow, Kangaroos, 'Perfect' tag

  • 12" x 12" Kaisercraft Stencil-' Stained Glass'

  • White Crackle Paint- DecoArt

  •  Cardboard from a thick cardboard box and pull of one paper side to reveal corrugations

  • Page from old book.

  • Distress Ink Tim Holtz 'Vintage Photo' & 'Brushed Sage'- to age page and cardboard to give a burnt effect

  •  Black card to back photo

  • Scrap paper to back onto Black backed photo.

  • Plaid Dimensional Magic.

 

 How I created this layout:

Background: 

  1. Placing the stencil over the page I used a spatula to spread the crackle paint over the places I wanted to place the stone like pattern. It takes a while to dry so I did this the night before although I could of just waited or gently used a heat gun.

  2. Mixed black and white acrylic paint leaving several shades of grey to be able to be used. 

  3. Mixed yellow ochre and burnt sienna  to make an earthy colour that closely matched the colour swatch on the mood board.

  4. Spray the paper with a light spray of water and then using a very wet brush I applied the different greys to the page picking up the earth colour occasionally and dabbing it on to blend it into the grey. 

  5. With a drier brush I dabbed areas with the different colours to blend the paint together when necessary.  

Chipboard: 

  1. Using the grey paint left over from the background I painted the kangaroos and set aside to dry.

  2. The Flower Bunch was cut into 2 pieces with the stem removed.

  3. Using the watercolour palette earth tones I painted the flower in different sections.

  4. I painted the word 'simply' and the tag with watercolour paint and when dry covered them with Dimensional Magic and set aside to dry. (This does take a little time.)

Layers:

  1. Back the photo with black card and earthy coloured paper edged with 'Vintage Photo' distress ink 

  2. Tear a piece of cardboard to fit behind the backed photo and add both 'Vintage Photo' and 'Brushed Sage' distress ink.

  3. I did the same with a page of an old book.

  4. I layered all elements onto the background and when I was happy I used 'Glossy Accents' to glue them into place.

To finish the layout off  I used the colours I used watered down Burnt Sienna and Yellow Ochre paint and the black and white drawing ink to splat over the paper.

 


 Here are some closeups for you to see:



This will be one of my last inspiration pieces as a design team member at Off The Rails Scrapbooking, later in the month will be my tutorial so pop over and see my take on our other July mood board. 

I have had a wonderful time over the last 2 1/2 yrs and have grown in confidence and creativity thanks to the amazing artists over my time with the team. Thanks to the team for their support and inspiration I'll miss working with them but will keep up-to-date what's happening with the challenges and wish them all the best in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment